In a classic cassoulet, a variety of meats complement the traditional white beans. In this version, a flavorful selection of winter root vegetables takes their place. For a heartier dish, add browned and sliced soy sausage links just before serving. Canned white beans make this recipe super-easy to assemble.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 small shallots, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 15.5-oz. cans great Northern beans, preferably organic, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 tsp. dried thyme or savory
- 3 Tbs. toasted breadcrumbs for garnish
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh parsley for garnish
Pour oil into slow cooker, and turn it on high. Add shallots and garlic. Cover, and cook to soften, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Add carrots, turnip, parsnip, beans and tomatoes. Stir in stock, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook until all vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Remove and discard bay leavesbefore serving. Garnish with breadcrumbs and minced parsley.
STOVETOP METHOD: Heat oil in 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and carrots. Cover, and cook 5 minutes to soften. Reduce heat tolow. Add remaining ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Calories: 490
- Carbohydrate Content: 88 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 21 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 260 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g