Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Slow-cooked, caramelized onions add incredible flavor to a stuffing that’s not all about the bread.
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and thyme, season with salt (if desired), and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 30 minutes, or until deep brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in 2 cups water, and increase heat to medium. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Pour onion mixture over bread cubes in bowl, and stir until liquid is absorbed. Stir in pecans, and season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 11- x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread stuffing in prepared baking dish, and bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until crisp and brown on top. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories 336
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 139 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g