Heres an adaptation of a dish served at The Greenhouse Tavern, in Cleveland. At their peak, English peas are grilled and then eaten straight out of the pod, edamame-style. The recipe comes courtesy of the restaurants owner, Iron Chef America contender Jonathon Sawyer, who enjoys preparing the peas at home with his kids.
- 40 fresh English pea pods
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 16 radishes, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 2-inch piece fresh horseradish, finely grated (2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pea pods, and blanch 2 minutes, or until bright green. Drain, and transfer to large bowl of ice water to cool. Drain, and pat dry.
2. Preheat grill to medium. Toss together pea pods, olive oil, and lemon juice in large bowl. Grill peas 3 to 4 minutes, or until outsides are browned. Transfer to bowl, and toss with salt. Place on serving platter; garnish with radishes, horseradish, and lemon zest, and drizzle with more olive oil, if desired.
- Calories: 42
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 206 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g