Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Dates, crystallized ginger, and allspice give these wholesome scones holiday flair. The scones freeze well; wrap them individually, and defrost as needed.
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, 2 Tbs. sugar, baking powder, allspice, and salt in bowl. Work in butter using fingers until dough is grainy; stir in oil and buttermilk.
3. Place dough on well-floured work surface, and knead in dates and ginger.
4. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet, and pat into 8-inch circle. Brush dough with buttermilk, and sprinkle with 1 tsp. sugar. Cut into 8 wedges; separate wedges on baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Calories 325
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 16 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 258 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g