Whole-Wheat Hummingbird Muffins Are a Sweet (But Not Too Sweet) Way to Start the Day
Toasted pecans offer some crunch to these wholesome muffins
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
While these hummingbird muffins are inspired by traditional Southern hummingbird cake, they’re a relatively healthy way to greet the day. All the sweetness comes from a dash of maple syrup and the inclusion of pineapple and banana. This recipe calls for egg, but if you swap in your favorite alternative, the rest of the muffins are already vegan.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Polenta-Crust Skillet Pizza
Rustic Squash Pizza with Goat Cheese Gremolata
Whole-Wheat Hummingbird Muffins
From Clean Eating
- 1¾ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs or replacer, room temperature
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup drained canned pineapple chunks, divided
- ¾ cup roughly chopped toasted pecans, divided
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Lightly grease a 12-count muffin tray. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; whisk to mix well. In a large bowl, whisk oil, maple syrup and eggs until well mixed. Whisk in bananas. Add flour mixture and fold together until nearly combined.
2. Roughly chop two-thirds of the pineapple and fold in. Fold in two-thirds of the pecans, stirring until all flour is incorporated (do not over-mix).
3. Divide batter among muffin cups. Top with remaining pineapple chunks and pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep leftovers covered at room temperature.
- Serving Size 1 muffin
- Calories 233
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 199 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g