Supplementing peanut butter with silken tofu lowers fat and boosts nutrition in this spicy dressing. Whole wheat pasta provides another nutritional upgrade, and its nutty flavor complements the peanut sauce.
- 12 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tsp. toasted peanut oil or dark sesame oil
- 1 cup grated carrots (2 medium)
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup grated seedless cucumber (1/4 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, (white and light green parts), 3 to 4 medium
- 3 Tbs. unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup low-fat firm silken tofu
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
Make dressing: In blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients; process until smooth and creamy, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of work bowl. Set aside. (Dressing can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated.)
Drop spaghetti into boiling water and stir to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Drain again, shaking colander. Transfer spaghetti to large bowl, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
Add carrots and bell pepper to spaghetti in bowl. Add reserved dressing and toss to coat. Transfer to large shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with cucumber, cilantro, scallions and peanuts. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
- Calories: 286
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 368 mg