- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 Tbs. reduced-fat margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped orange zest
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
In medium bowl, mix both flours, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Stir in applesauce, orange zest, raisins and just enough buttermilk to form a stiff dough.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles of dough. Put scones on prepared baking sheet, brush tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories: 123
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 171 mg