Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Supermarket pita breads just can’t compare with the freshly baked homemade version.
1. In large bowl, mix 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water and sugar. Sprinkle in yeast and let stand until foamy, 10 minutes. With wooden spoon, gradually beat in whole wheat flour. Beat about 2 minutes. Stir in oil and salt. Gradually beat in just enough all-purpose flour until dough is too stiff to stir.
2. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead, adding just enough flour to prevent sticking, until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes. (You can mix and knead dough in stand-up mixer fitted with paddle attachment, then dough hook.)
3. Place dough in lightly oiled large bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
4. Place a baking stone or inverted baking sheet on bottom rack of oven to heat. Preheat oven to 500F. (Heat baking stone for 25 minutes before baking; heat baking sheet for 10 minutes.)
5. Punch dough down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Cover with kitchen towel and let rest 20 minutes.
6. On lightly floured surface, use rolling pin to roll 2 pieces of dough into 7- to 7 1/2-inch circles, slightly less than 1/4-inch thick. (Keep remaining dough pieces covered while you are working.) Place dough circles on another baking sheet.
7. Working quickly, use wide metal spatula to transfer dough circles to heated baking stone. Bake pitas until puffed and lightly browned around the edges, 5 to 6 minutes.
8. Immediately wrap baked pitas in kitchen towel to keep them warm and soft. While the first batch of pitas bakes, roll out 2 more dough circles. Continue baking and rolling pitas until all dough is used.
- Calories 192
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 535 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g