Variation: For carrot bread, substitute 2 cups grated carrots for the zucchini and raisins for the nuts. To make carrot-zucchini bread, use 1 cup grated carrot and 1 cup grated zucchini.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg white, or 1 Tbs. Egg Replacer mixed with 4 Tbs. water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup skim milk, rice milk or soymilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 medium)
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9- by 5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
In large bowl, mix both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add pecans if using. Make well in center of mixture.
In small bowl, lightly beat egg and egg white (or Egg Replacer if using). Stir in sugar, milk, applesauce and vanilla until blended. Stir in zucchini. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Remove to wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack, invert right-side up and cool completely.
- Calories: 138
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 11 mg
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 165 mg