Wild Mushroom and Quinoa Burgers with Garlic-Thyme Aioli
These meaty vegan burgers are great on the grill! The zesty, herbal aioli is made easy by starting with prepared mayo; use a homemade or high-quality variety, or substitute vegan mayo.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Use any variety of wild mushrooms—morels, chanterelle, oyster, or lion’s mane. Shiitakes are an excellent option; remove the woody stems and just use the caps. Or substitute dried wild mushrooms; soak them in warm water first, then drain and pat dry. If you can’t find wild mushrooms, crimini or portobello work just fine.
- 3 small garlic cloves, pressed in a garlic press or very finely minced
- 3 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves, minced
- Juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 1/2 cup high-quality mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 lb. wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped (leave small mushrooms whole)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus additional for brushing burgers
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. minced parsley leaves
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat grill and grill basket. Make aioli: In a small bowl, combine garlic, thyme, and lemon juice. Whisk in mayonnaise. Refrigerate until burgers are done.
- Toss mushrooms in olive oil, lightly sprinkle with sea salt, and arrange in grill basket. Grill for 5 minutes, tossing once during cooking, till just tender.
- Transfer cooked mushrooms to a food processor. Add onions, black beans, quinoa, ground flax, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper, and pulse until combined. Continue pulsing until mixture is finely chopped, but not completely smooth, scraping down sides frequently. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Transfer to a bowl and chill for 15 minutes, until mixture is firm.
- Form into eight patties and brush each side with olive oil. Arrange on grill and grill until lightly browned, 3–4 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter and serve on bread or rolls, if desired, with Garlic-Thyme Aioli on the side.
- Serving Size 1 burger
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 420 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g