Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Now that you can buy pre-cooked wild rice, it’s easy to use this Native American whole grain in speedy dinners. The nutty flavor of the rice and rich, creamy taste of the butternut squash are a delicious sneak preview of all the yummy foods of fall.
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute more, or until fragrant.
2. Stir in wild rice, squash, beans, mustard, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and 1½ cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Calories 186
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 234 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g