Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Nestled on spinach leaves, these savory wild rice fritters get their sweet accent from the fruit-based salsa, which may be made from peach, mango, papaya or other fruit. Buy precooked wild rice, available vacuum-packed at specialty food stores. If you use this dish for a brunch entrée, serve it with hot banana bread. For dinner, pass squares of cornbread with the fritters, and finish the meal with frozen yogurt.
1. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Fold in ricotta cheese, breadcrumbs and wild rice, and stir until rice is evenly distributed. Stir in garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, if using, and salt and pepper.
2. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, place about 1/3 cup scoop rice mixture per fritter into skillet, cooking 3 to 4 fritters at a time for total of 12 fritters. Add more oil as needed. Cook fritters until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Using spatula, turn fritters over, and brown second side. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels. Continue until mixture is gone.
3. To serve, arrange equal portions spinach leaves on plate, place two fritters per serving on leaves and garnish with salsa, as desired.
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 14 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g