Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Slow-cooking pine nuts and garlic slices in olive oil infuses the oil with a nutty, garlicky flavor as the crunchy salad add-ins are being prepared. The hot oil tenderizes the dandelion greens and tones down some of their bitterness. The recipe will also work with frisée, chicory, or other firm salad greens.
1. Place pine nuts, garlic slices, and olive oil in small skillet, and cook over low heat 20 minutes, or until pine nuts and garlic are golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, stand 1 orange upright, and remove peel and pith with knife, following curve of fruit from top to bottom. Cut sections along membranes as if slicing out a wedge, and release wedges one by one. Repeat with remaining orange, and set aside.
3. Place dandelion greens in large bowl. Pour hot oil with garlic and pine nuts over dandelion greens, and toss with tongs until leaves are wilted. Add balsamic vinegar, and toss to coat. Divide among serving plates, and top with orange segments.
- Calories 208
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 86 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g