Tossing mustard greens in a hot dressing softens them just a bit without compromising their texture and body.
- 1/4 cup frozen cranberry juice cocktail concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 frozen cranberries, quartered
- 4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups torn mustard greens (4 oz.)
- 1 small Fuji apple, cored, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 Belgian endive, quartered, cored, and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (6 oz.)
1. Whisk together cranberry juice concentrate and cornstarch in small saucepan to dissolve cornstarch. Stir in oil, frozen cranberries, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Toss together mustard greens, apple, and onion in large salad bowl.
3. Bring cranberry mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil 30 to 40 seconds, or until clear and thick enough to thinly coat spoon, whisking constantly. Pour hot dressing over salad. Toss 1 minute, or until greens wilt slightly. Mix in endive. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 211
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 156 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g