Sweet potatoes and scallions are perfect partners in this quick pasta recipe.When fresh thyme is available, substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons for the dried herb.
- 12 oz. farfalle (bow ties) pasta
- 1 large sweet potato (12 oz.)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches scallions (white and light green parts), cut into 3/4-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Meal plan: Make a simple salad of mes-clun (mixed baby greens), shredded carrots and roasted red pepper strips dressed with a low-fat vinaigrette. Serve with sesame bread sticks.
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta; stir to prevent sticking. Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, peel sweet potato, then cut into 1/2-inch dice. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add sweet potato, cover and cook 8 minutes.
Stir in scallions and thyme; cover and cook 4 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes; cover and cook 2 minutes. Add cooked pasta, broth, salt and pepper. Mix well and serve hot.
- Calories: 303
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 599 mg