Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Good-quality saffron is the key to this dish. Shop at a reliable source such as a gourmet store or online spice purveyor, and choose brands that indicate where the saffron was harvested.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Gluten-Free Lentil Quinoa Taco Pie
Miyoko Schinner’s King Trumpet Mushroom Carnitas Tacos
Adobo Tofu and Portobello Tacos with Chunky Guacamole
Winter Vegetable Medley with Paella-Style Orzo
1. Bring broth to a simmer in saucepan. Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, saffron, and tomato liquid. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and keep hot.
2. Coat large skillet or 8-qt. Dutch oven with cooking spray, add oil, and heat over high heat. Add tomatoes, sear 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned and dry, and transfer to plate. Add bell pepper, sear 2 to 3 minutes, and transfer to same plate.
3. Sprinkle orzo into skillet, and stir 30 seconds. Stir in broth and peas, and reduce heat to medium. Arrange cauliflower florets on top of orzo in pot. Arrange green onions, tomatoes, and bell pepper pieces around cauliflower; cover, and simmer without stirring, 11 minutes. Scatter broccoli over vegetables, remove pot from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes, or until orzo has absorbed all liquid and broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Calories 289
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 367 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g