A Gingery Whiskey Cocktail to Make Holiday Spirits Bright
Ginger, agave, lemon, and rye whiskey come together in a spicy cocktail that can be served straight up or over ice.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Prepare the agave syrup and squeeze the lemon juice up to two days before serving. Store in the fridge
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 2 Tbs. peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups rye whiskey
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 thin lemon slices or 6 strips lemon peel for garnish, optional
- Combine agave, ginger, and 1/2 cup hot water in blender; blend until smooth. Strain mixture through fine strainer, pressing down to extract all liquid. Discard solids.
- Pour ginger mixture into large jar. Add whiskey, lemon juice, and salt. Shake gently to combine, and chill. 3. To serve: Measure out 1/2 cup liquid, and place in ice-filled shaker. Shake, and strain into martini glass or ice-filled tumbler. Garnish with 2 lemon slices, or slap lemon peel between palms, and float on top of drink, if using.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup
- Calories 177
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content <1 g
- Protein Content <1 g
- Sugar Content 12 g