Known as neutralized duck in Buddhist cooking, this dish is meant to re-create the taste and texture of roasted duck. Yuba, or bean curd sheets, which are formed by heating soymilk, resemble thin, delicate noodle sheets. The best ones can be found in the frozen section of Chinese grocery stores.
- 3 tsp. sesame oil, divided
- 3 carrots, cut into matchsticks (2 cups)
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced (11/2 cups)
- 2 cups haricots verts (thin green beans)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 1 8-oz. pkg. frozen yuba sheets
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
1. Heat 2 tsp. sesame oil in skillet over medium heat. Add carrots and mushrooms, and cook 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to bowl, and set aside.
2. Add remaining 1 tsp. sesame oil to pan. Cook green beans in oil 3 minutes. Transfer to separate bowl.
3. Stir together soy sauce, maple syrup, and 1/4 cup water in third bowl.
4. Place yuba sheets in sink filled with cool water. Set 1 yuba sheet on clean kitchen towel, blot dry with paper towels, then brush with soy sauce mixture. Place 1/4 cup green beans in row 11/2 inches from bottom of sheet. Lay 2 Tbs. carrot mixture in line above green beans. Roll bottom up like a burrito. Set aside.
5. Place second yuba sheet on towel; blot dry, then brush with soy sauce mixture. Place 1/4 cup green beans and 2 Tbs. carrot mixture in row 2 inches above bottom edge. Set first yuba roll atop carrots, and roll up with completed yuba roll in center. Set aside. Place third yuba sheet on towel, blot dry, and lay 1/4 cup green beans and 2 Tbs. carrot mixture in row 2 inches above bottom. Set double yuba roll on top, and roll up like a burrito. Place fourth yuba sheet on towel, blot dry, and lay 1/4 cup green beans and 2 Tbs. carrot mixture in row 2 inches above bottom. Set triple yuba roll in center, and roll up into 1 large roll.
6. Stir cornstarch into 1 Tbs. water in bowl to make paste. Apply cornstarch paste to outside edge of large yuba roll to seal. Repeat entire rolling process to make second large yuba roll.
7. Heat canola oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add yuba rolls seam-side down. Cook 10 minutes, turning once, or until golden on both sides. Add 1/2 cup hot water, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Steam 5 minutes, then flip rolls. Add 1/2 cup hot water, cover, and steam 5 to 7 minutes more, or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from skillet, and cool. Slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and serve with remaining soy sauce mixture. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Calories: 164
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 389 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g