Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Why Yukon gold potatoes? Because their creamy but firm texture make them a perfect fit for stews, plus the tender skin doesn’t need to be peeled. Serve with steamed rice, and a sweet-and-sour chutney, such as Fresh Mango Chutney on vegetariantimes.com.
1. Steam potatoes in steamer basket set over simmering water 10 minutes, or until just tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 8 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add garlic, ginger, and jalapeño, and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Add steamed potatoes, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, to coat with spices. Add coconut milk and 1/4 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
3. Stir in spinach, garam masala, and 1/4 cup water, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Calories 347
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 382 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g