These pretty summer hors d’oeuvres can be made ahead and served at room temperature—simply add the yogurt topping and pepper confetti at the last minute.
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 small yellow bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 3 medium zucchini, shredded (1 lb.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbs. chopped chives, divided
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped mint
- 1 tsp. Aleppo pepper, or 1 tsp. paprika, plus 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Stir bell peppers together in bowl, and season with salt, if desired. Set aside.
2. Combine zucchini and salt in bowl, and let stand 20 minutes, or until liquid is released. Squeeze all liquid out of zucchini, and transfer to large bowl (you should have 1½ packed cups). Stir in egg, flour, 3 Tbs. chives, parsley, mint, Aleppo pepper, and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Heat 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat. Spoon 4 2-Tbs. mounds of batter onto pan, and slightly flatten. Cook 3 minutes per side, or until golden-brown. Transfer to wire rack, and repeat with remaining oil and batter.
4. Stir together yogurt, lemon juice, and remaining 1 Tbs. chives in small bowl.
5. Spoon 1 tsp. yogurt mixture on each zucchini cake, and top with 2 tsp. bell pepper mixture. Serve with remaining bell pepper mixture and yogurt on side.
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 24 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 135 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g