- 1 1/2 lb. plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/3 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, softened in warm water and chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 8 oz. mixed summer squash (green and yellow), ends trimmed
- 1 orange bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 8 oz. soy or fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 basil sprigs for garnish, optional
1. Put tomatoes, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, 3 Tbs. oil, shallot, dash of salt and several grinds of pepper into food processor, and process until sauce resembles finely textured salsa.
2. Pare squash lengthwise on 4 sides into paper-thin slices, about 1-inch wide, using sharp vegetable peeler. Discard soft centers, or save for another use. Stack slices, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide "fettuccine" strips. Cut bell pepper into paper-thin strips.
3. Put "fettuccine" into bowl with mozzarella, walnuts, remaining 1 Tbs. oil and salt to taste; toss gently. Pour sauce into 6 shallow bowls, and top with "fettuccine" mixture. Grind fresh pepper over each and, if using, top with Parmesan cheese and basil sprigs. Serve.
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 590 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g