Crispy zucchini fritters get the gyro treatment with hummus and a lemony yogurt sauce.
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 lb. zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canned diced green chiles or
- 1 roasted poblano chile, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped (2 Tbs.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 cup roasted red pepper or jalapeño-cilantro hummus
- 3 whole-wheat pita breads, halved and warmed
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
1. Stir together yogurt and lemon zest in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Wrap grated zucchini in clean kitchen towel, and wring out excess moisture.
3. Whisk egg in large bowl. Stir in zucchini, green chiles, green onion, and garlic. Sprinkle mixture with flour and baking powder, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drop 6 heaping tablespoonfuls zucchini mixture into skillet, and gently flatten. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
5. Spread 2 Tbs. hummus inside each pita half. Fill with 2 tomato slices, 2 zucchini cakes, red onion slices, and ⅓ cup chopped lettuce. Drizzle each gyro with 2 Tbs. yogurt mixture
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 33 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 433 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g