For years, Hollis Church was living the rock-and-roll lifestyle—her company, Dega Catering, provided road food for musicians, from Duran Duran to the Grateful Dead. Now retired from touring, she'??s opened the Glowing Bowl Café, in Knoxville, Tenn., collaborating with chef Mollie Moran to create a vegetarian menu that is mostly raw, and wholly energizing. We asked the duo, ??What five ingredients are essential for a raw foods pantry? Here'??s their list.
1. Almonds - Use these yummy nuts to whip up an alternative to milk or create pastry-like raw cakes. Or add them to a dish to boost flavor and bulk—as well as protein, vitamins, and essential fatty acids.
2. Avocados - Sneak these into dishes to increase satisfaction. (They're a secret ingredient in the Glowing Bowl Cafés sandwiches, sauces, soups, and dressings.)
3. Dates - The sweetener of choice for raw foodies, dates add fiber too. I throw a handful into the Vita-Mix (blender) to add sweetness, texture, and body to sauces, soups, and dressings,? says Moran.
4. Nama shoyu - This raw, unpasteurized form of soy sauce is rich in enzymes and probiotics. Add it to any dish where a salty and slightly fruity flavor is desired.
5. Young coconut water - Substitute it for water in any recipe and you'??ll benefit from added antioxidants, electrolytes, minerals, and amino acids.