Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Ever since Kelly Keough delivered a sugar-, gluten-, and dairy-free birthday cake to actor Jeremy Piven on the set of the HBO series Entourage, sales for her breads and desserts have been brisk. The author of Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts now hosts her own Veria TV network show, The Sweet Truth. We asked her, â??What five ingredients are essential for a gluten-free pantry?â? Heres her list:
1. Bobs Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour, made from garbanzo beans, fava beans, potato starch, and tapioca, is the best blend for cookies, muffins, brownies, scones, and waffles because of its smooth texture and neutral taste.
2. Gluten-free baking powder helps gluten-free flours leaven, or rise, and produce the fluffy texture we crave in cakes and muffins.
3. Xanthan gum, used in small amounts, simulates the â??stretchinessâ? of gluten, and works together with leavening agents to create baked goods with a satisfying texture.
4. Quinoa grains cooked with apples, raisins, and cinnamon, and served with agave nectar, are a nice change for breakfast.
5. Buckwheat groatsraw and hulledtaste like a grain though theyre really a seed. Try soaking and sprouting them, then dehydrating them together with a touch of puréed dates and raw cocoa nibs for a yummy chocolate granola.