Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Spread some tomato sauce on a round of pita bread, naan, or lavash, sprinkle with cheese, toast till bubbly, and presto: flat-bread pizza! Easy, right? Starting with this simple formula, you can play around with different flat-bread bases and tasty toppings to whip up all kinds of inventive combinations. Pumpkin, leek, and mushroom pitzas, anyone? Here are 10 more ideas to get you started: assemble these amazing individual flat-bread pizzas, then bake 6 to 8 minutes at 425°F.
1. Puttanesca Stir 1 tsp. capers and 1 pinch red pepper flakes into 1/4 cup prepared marinara sauce; spread on flat bread. Sprinkle with fresh mozzarella and pitted black olives.
2. Three-Cheese with Broccoli Stir together 2 Tbs. low-fat ricotta, 2 Tbs. grated mozzarella, and 1 tsp. Parmesan; spread on flat bread. Top with steamed broccoli and a drizzle of garlic oil.
3. Egg Florentine Spread thin layer of tomato paste over flat bread. Top with steamed chopped spinach, and crack 1 egg in center. Bake until egg white is set. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce or melted butter.
4. Beet-Gorgonzola Spread 3 Tbs. Gorgonzola cheese over flat bread. Top with thinly sliced roasted beets, and brush with olive oil. Serve topped with 1/4 cup arugula.
5. Mezze Mix Spread 1/4 cup baba ghanoush over flat bread. Sprinkle with 2 Tbs. cooked chickpeas and 2 Tbs. crumbled feta cheese.
6. Lean and Green Purée 1/4 cup thawed frozen peas with 2 Tbs. pesto; spread on flat bread. Top with thinly sliced zucchini and dollops of cottage cheese. Sprinkle with minced garlic, and drizzle with olive oil.
7. Pissaladiere Spread flat bread with 1/4 cup Onion Confit, and sprinkle with olives and roasted red pepper slices.
8. Green Enchilada Spread flat bread with 1/4 cup prepared tomatillo salsa. Sprinkle with 2 Tbs. each cooked black beans, corn kernels, and queso fresco.
9. Hoppin’ John Spread flat bread with 2 Tbs. prepared barbecue sauce. Top with 1/4 cup steamed chopped kale, 2 Tbs. cooked black-eyed peas, and 2 thinly sliced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes.
10. Asian Oyster Sauté 1 cup oyster mushrooms and 1 tsp. minced garlic in 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil 7 minutes, or until browned. Spread flat bread with 2 Tbs. vegetarian oyster sauce. Top with sautéed oyster mushrooms and 2 Tbs. sliced green onion. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Got a favorite flat-bread pizza creation? Share it in the comments!