Easy Summer Suppers
After a day of gardening, swimming or cycling, a hearty but not heavy meal is just what's needed. These recipes get you in and out of the kitchen fast.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
After a day of gardening, swimming or cycling, a hearty but not heavy meal is just what’s needed. These recipes get you in and out of the kitchen fast. Chilled avocado vichyssoise is
perfect for a light dinner. The souffle-stuffed tomatoes are showy enough to wow guests. The stir-fry with snow peas is super adaptable – you can swap in almost any vegetable you have on hand for the snow peas. And if you’re really hungry, try the cold noodle salad – you can really dig into it, but it’s so light you won’t feel guilty.
TOMATOES STUFFED WITH
These are much easier to make than a traditional soufflÃ?Â? and are delicious served with a
green salad and a slice of whole-grain bread. Choose firm, ripe tomatoes that will sit flat, not
4 large, firm, ripe tomatoes, 3/4 to 1 pound each
2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
3 large eggs
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese or soy Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Cut half inch off top of tomatoes. Scoop out centers of tomatoes, leaving shells intact.
Lightly sprinkle insides of shells with salt. Place cut side down on paper towels; let drain 30
3. Put 1 1/2 cups corn, eggs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese in food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Pour into bowl, and stir in remaining corn and basil. Season to taste with salt and
4. Set tomato shells, cut sides up, in baking dish. Fill each with corn mixture, and sprinkle
with remaining Parmesan.
5. Bake 45 minutes, or until filling is set and tops are browned and slightly puffed. Remove,
and let cool about 5 minutes. Carefully transfer tomatoes to plates. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 210 CAL; 12G PROT; 8G TOTAL FAT (2.5G SAT. FAT); 28G CARB; 165MG CHOL; 320MG SOD; 5G FIBER; 9G SUGARS