Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Congratulations to Vanessa Burnum, winner of the Gluten-Free Holiday Re-Do Contest sponsored by Arrowhead Mills! Vanessa’s gluten-free cupcake recipe won over our tasting panel and she will receive $500 in Arrowhead Mills products.
Gingerbread Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 12–15 cupcakes
2 Tbs. ground Arrowhead Mills Flaxseeds or Arrowhead Mills Flaxseed Meal
2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup non-dairy margarine, softened
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
4 oz. non-dairy margarine, warmed to room temperature
4 oz. non-dairy cream cheese, warmed to room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. To make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12 large or 15 medium muffin molds with cooking spray, or line with cupcake liners. Whisk together ground flaxseeds and 6 Tbs. water in small bowl. Set aside 10 to 20 minutes to thicken.
2. Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water and baking soda to a boil in large saucepan. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
4. Cream margarine and brown sugar with electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth. Beat in molasses, flaxseed mixture and baking soda mixture. Beat in flour mixture on low speed until just combined flour. Divide batter among prepared muffin molds, and bake 10 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of 1 cupcake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack, then remove from muffin tin.
5. To make Frosting: Beat margarine, cream cheese and vanilla with electric mixer until smooth and completely combined. Beat in confectioners sugar, and continue to beat 1 to 2 minutes, or until Frosting is fluffy and spreadable, adding more confectioners’ sugar, if necessary. Spread Frosting on cooled Cupcakes.