Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Once the wheat berries have been presoaked, the soup can be ready in under an hour.
1. Soak wheat berries in large bowl of cold water overnight.
2. Heat oil in 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and season with salt, if desired. Sauté mushrooms 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more. Stir in vinegar; simmer until vinegar is almost evaporated, stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan.
3. Drain wheat berries, and add to mushroom mixture with vegetable broth and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Add kale, and cook 10 to 20 minutes more, or until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 138
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 103 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g