Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
What if you could harness the savory, salty flavor of an everything bagel in the form of a creamy, dairy-free spread? Then you could put that spread on anything you wanted. Crackers, bread, even bagels – or just eat a bite of the soft cheese on its own. Well, we’ve figured out a way to make that happen. In this recipe for everything bagel vegan cheese, you’ll start with a neutral base, and then add in the seeds and seasonings that make everything bagels so special. Of course, you can also go in other directions with the base cheese; almost any flavor combination you like, sweet or savory, will work (just don’t add anything that will bring a lot of liquid, which could change the texture). Want to use a pre-made everything bagel seasoning? That’s fine, too! Just add it to the base cheese mixture to taste.
Everything Bagel Vegan Cheese
1. Cover nuts with water in separate bowls, and soak eight hours or overnight. Discard soak water, rinse well, and combine nuts in high-speed blender. Add spring water, and blend mixture until smooth. Add probiotic powder, and stir well.
2. Transfer mixture to clean nut milk bag, and twist until cheese is tightly bound, but not squishing out. Use string or rubber band to secure top, and place bundle into fine mesh stainless steel strainer over bowl. (If you don’t have a nut milk bag, you can spoon the cheese directly into the center of your strainer.) Cover lightly with clean dish towel, and place in a warmish area to drain and culture for 24 hours.
3. When cheese is cultured, turn it out into a bowl. Stir in lemon juice, nutritional yeast, if using, and salt.
4. Add sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, poppy seeds, paprika, and flake salt to cheese base, and stir to mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
6. Store in covered glass container in refrigerator for up to five days, or freeze extra for use within two months.