This Tempeh Bacon ‘BLT’ Wrap Might Be the Perfect Desk Lunch
That project can wait until after you eat something
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
In between the endless Zooms and contents deadlines, sometimes you need to take a break during the day to step away for a few minutes and make yourself a healthy, satisfying lunch. That’s right where this tempeh bacon wrap fits in. If you prep the ‘bacon’ the night before and leave it to marinate (and you probably should, though as little as two hours in advance is fine) all you’ll have to do when it’s lunch time is finish the process and make your wrap, which takes about 20 minutes. You’ve got 20 minutes. And you’ll find the protein-rich wrap keeps you going strong for the rest of the day. We like ours with lettuce, tomato, and avocado, but the toppings are entirely up to you.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Cardamom Cauliflower Soup with Spiced Chickpeas
Vegan Matzo Ball Soup
Curried Coconut Squash Soup
Tempeh Bacon ‘BLT’ Wraps
- 1 8-oz pkg organic tempeh, cut into 24 very thin slices
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp liquid smoke, optional
- 1 tbsp safflower or sunflower oil
- 6 whole-grain wraps, warmed
- Olive oil mayonnaise, as needed
- Sliced tomato
- Leaves of lettuce
- Sliced avocado
1. Arrange tempeh slices in 2 13 x 9-inch baking dishes. In a small saucepan, bring ½ cup water, tamari, vinegar, coconut sugar, cumin and chile to a boil for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in liquid smoke (if using). Pour over tempeh. Let cool then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Carefully transfer tempeh to prepared sheets; discard marinade.
3. Brush slices with half of oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Flip tempeh slices, brush with remaining half of oil and bake for 5 to 7 minutes more, or until crisp and dark brown.
4. On each wrap, spread mayonnaise. Add tempeh and toppings.
- Serving Size 1 wrap with 4 slices
- Calories 296
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 299 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g