Falafel Buddha Bowls
Our healthy vegetarian and gluten-free falafel is snuggled in a bowl of crunchy veggies and drizzled with a creamy tahini sauce.
This buddha bowl is bright, crispy and unbelievably satisfying. Sautéeing the falafel patties in Ghee Oil not only gives them a rich, nutty flavor, but it has a high smoke point, which makes the outside perfectly golden brown and crisp and tender inside.
For the falafel
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley (about 1/4 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (about 1/4 bunch)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup 4th & Heart Ghee Oil
For the tahini sauce
- ¼ cup tahini
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
For the bowl
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup diced red cabbage
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- Make the falafel: Add the chickpeas to a food processor along with the red onion, parsley, cilantro, salt, cayenne, garlic and cumin (all ingredients except baking powder and flour). Process the mixture until it forms a thick paste. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. A little texture to the mixture is desirable.
- Place the mixture into a bowl and stir in the baking powder. Begin adding flour, 2 Tbsp at a time, until the mixture becomes thick enough to form into patties. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup form the falafel dough into small patties. To cook the patties, heat ghee oil in a skillet until hot and shimmering, but not smoking. Cook the patties on each side until deep golden brown and crispy.
- Make the tahini sauce: Prepare the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a blender, and processing until smooth and creamy adding more almond milk to reach your desired consistency. Set aside.
- Prepare the bowls: In each bowl, place 1 cup mixed greens and top with ¼ cup red cabbage, ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, ¼ cucumbers, 2 tbsp. feta cheese and divide the olives evenly amongst the bowls. Top with several falafels and a drizzle with tahini sauce.
Related: Buffalo Chickpea Buddha Bowl recipe