Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Peanuts were brought to America from Africa, where they are often ground to a paste to thicken and flavor soups and stews. For a spicier soup, use up to ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, or pass a bottle of hot sauce at the table.
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until garlic is lightly browned.
2. Blend peanut butter and ½ cup broth in food processor to make smooth paste. Blend remaining broth into mixture.
3. Add paprika, coriander and cayenne to onion mixture, and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in peanut butter mixture, chickpeas and tomatoes. Simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in spinach just before serving.
- Calories 257
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 581 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g