Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Chicago-based reader Michael Goldman uses herbs from his balcony garden to whip up this vibrant-tasting summer salad. We especially love his technique of seasoning the tomatoes with herb stems.
1. To make Herb Vinaigrette: Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, and garlic in small bowl. Add herb leaves and 2 Tbs. water, and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Tomato Salad: Pluck leaves from herb sprigs, and set aside. Combine herb stems and tomatoes in large bowl, and let stand 1 to 11/2 hours in cool place. Remove and discard herb stems.
3. Stack half of basil leaves on cutting board, and roll into tight cylinder. Slice cylinder into thin strands, aka chiffonade; set aside. Roughly chop remaining herb leaves. Add onion and chopped herb leaves to tomatoes, and toss gently with wooden spoon. Mix in 2 Tbs. Herb Vinaigrette.
4. Place burrata on plate, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with basil chiffonade. Slice burrata, and serve with tomatoes and remaining Herb Vinaigrette on side.
- Calories 192
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 98 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g