Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This one-pan dinner is ideal when you want something like a salad, but also warm and not exactly a salad. Cauliflower steaks have become so popular in recent years that we’ve reached the inevitable backlash cycle of people saying they’re not as good as other ways of cooking cauliflower. Our retort to that? First of all, cauliflower is great in any shape and both florets and the wide slices we call ‘steaks’ can both have their time and place. And second: maybe you haven’t found the right recipe. These cauliflower steaks with dark leafy greens sautéed with onions, raisins, balsamic, and garlic are pretty hard to have a problem with.
Note: We call here for white balsamic vinegar, which might not already be in your pantry but is worth adding. It comes from the same grapes as the dark kind you’re used to, but they are cooked differently and aged for a shorter time, resulting in a flavor that’s milder in flavor as well as being nearly transparent in color.
Cauliflower Steaks with Balsamic Greens, Onions, and Raisins
1. Prepare cauliflower steaks: Trim away large outer leaves from cauliflower and trim bottom stem end. With stem end facing up, cut straight through the middle of the core. Trim the rounded side on each half that isn’t cut, keeping the core intact, giving you two “steaks” with flat sides. Reserve the florets that were cut off for another use.
2. In a large skillet on medium- high, heat 4 tsp oil. Arrange cauliflower steaks in skillet and season with ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Sear until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully turn over using a spatula and sear other side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook cauliflower, covered, until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Transfer cauliflower steaks to a plate.
3. In same skillet (no need to clean it out) on medium, heat remaining 2 tsp oil. Add onion and sauté until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add raisins and garlic and sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. In batches, add greens and sauté until wilted. Season with remaining ¼ tsp salt, additional black pepper and vinegar. Nestle cauliflower steaks in greens, sprinkle with feta and cover. Turn off heat and let feta soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Top with dill and almonds.
- Serving Size 1 cauliflower steak and ¼ of greens
- Calories 349
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 560 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g