Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This new take on Caesar salad has no animal products and less fat and fewer calories than the traditional version. Nutritional yeast and ground almonds substitute nicely for the flavor and texture of Parmesan cheese.
1. Croutons: Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly coat bread slices with vegetable oil cooking spray. In small bowl, mix remaining crouton ingredients. Add bread; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake until croutons are dry and lightly toasted, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, combine almonds, garlic, mustard, yeast flakes, soy sauce, lemon juice, water and oil if desired; process until smooth and well blended.
3. To serve, toss together lettuce and croutons. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve right away.
- Calories 127
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 118 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g