Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Green cabbage can be substituted for savoy cabbage in this hearty chowder.
1. Combine apple cider, soy sauce, and vinegar in small bowl.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil and 1 Tbs. butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, and season with salt, if desired. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to shallow bowl.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil and 1 Tbs. butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until onions are softened, stirring occasionally. Uncover, and cook 16 to 18 minutes, or until onions are golden brown. Add garlic, 1 1/2 Tbs. thyme, and apple cider mixture, stirring to scrape up browned bits on pan bottom. Bring to a simmer, and cook 1 minute. Add cabbage and 5 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook 15 minutes. Serve topped with Cheese Croutons and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. thyme.
- Calories 334
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 26 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 215 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g