Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These crunchy garlic croutons get an extra bit of flavor from nutty Swiss or Gruyère cheese sprinkled on after toasting.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place bread cubes in heat-proof bowl.
2. Warm olive oil and butter in medium skillet over low heat. Add garlic, and mash it with back of wooden spoon to break up a bit more. Increase heat to medium, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until garlic starts to turn light brown around edges. Remove from heat, and discard garlic pieces.
3. Drizzle oil mixture over bread cubes, stirring to coat. Season with salt, if desired. Spread bread cubes on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until crisp and brown on bottoms. Push croutons close together, and sprinkle cheese over all. Bake 2 minutes more, or until cheese melts. Cool on baking sheet, then pull apart to serve.
- Calories 185
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 16 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 103 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g