Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Wheat berries are hearty grains that hold their shape and texture well in salads such as this one. A hint of cinnamon helps bring out the sweetness of the carrots and dried apricots in the dish.
1. To make Salad: Soak wheat berries and cinnamon stick in 3 cups water 8 hours, or overnight.
2. Bring wheat berries, cinnamon, and soaking water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until tender but still chewy. Drain off remaining liquid, if necessary; remove cinnamon stick; and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, bring salt and 1 qt. water to a boil. Add carrots, and cook 2 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and plunge in bowl filled with ice water to stop cooking. Drain again.
4. Toss carrots with wheat berries, apricots, almonds, and cilantro in bowl.
5. To make Dressing: Blend all ingredients in blender until creamy. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir into Salad. Cover, and chill 1 hour to allow flavors to marry. Remove Salad from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
- Calories 306
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 63 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g