Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A warm dressing of deglazed pan juices gives this room-temperature slaw a flavor boost. Top with tofu and serve over brown rice for a light supper.
1. Combine savoy cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, and apple in large heat-proof bowl. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Whisk together soy sauce, lime juice, 2 Tbs. water, and brown sugar in small bowl.
2. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt, and cook 7 to 8 minutes, or until onions are browned and bottom of pan has brown bits. Add ginger, and cook 30 seconds. Add soy sauce mixture to deglaze, and cook 15 to 25 seconds, using spatula or spoon to scrape up brown bits. Remove from heat, and spread onion mixture over cabbage mixture. Toss with tongs until slaw is well combined and cabbages begin to wilt.
3. Add 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, and toss to combine. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve garnished with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and peanuts, if using.
- Calories 111
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 546 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g