Cream of Tomato Soup
This main course comes together in moments, requiring little more preparation than blending chunky tomato sauce and heating the entire mixture.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Pick up the diced peppers from your supermarket salad bar to help speed preparation. Grilled or toasted wedges of Italian bread with garlic butter heighten the Italian spirit of this lusty soup. Try a rich gelato and squares of chocolate brownies.
- 3 cups chunky tomato sauce
- 6 oz. container plain soy yogurt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 9 oz. pkg. soy "meatballs"
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 8-oz. pkg. Italian-seasoned baked tofu, cubed
- 8 oz. diced red and green peppers
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup garlic croutons, or more if desired for garnish
- Place 2 cups tomato sauce and soy yogurt in container of food processor or blender. Process until smooth, and place in large saucepan. Heat soup over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté “meatballs” and garlic 2 to 3 minutes, or until both turn golden brown. Add to saucepan. Stir in remaining tomato sauce, tofu, peppers, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- To serve, spoon soup into bowls, top with croutons and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Calories 490
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 1270 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g