Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Make these luscious mouthfuls at the start of the holiday season, then pop them into a resealable plastic bag, store in the freezer, and pull out as a quick dessert for guests.
1. Toast almonds in skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until light brown. Set aside.
2. Place dates in saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 Tbs. liquid. Transfer to food processor, and purée with reserved liquid until smooth.
3. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Stir in almonds, vanilla, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, almond extract and pinch of salt.
4. Spread coconut on plate. Sift cocoa, sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. cinnamon into bowl.
5. Form date mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll in coconut, and then in cocoa mixture. Serve immediately, or store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in freezer up to 2 months.
- Calories 49
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 4 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g