Kale with Sauteed Apples and Cranberry Vinaigrette
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 5 medium shallots, minced
- 3 bunches kale, stemmed, rinsed well and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups Cranberry Vinaigrette (November '00, p. 66)
- 3 apples, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
In wok or large skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the sliced apples and one-third of the shallots and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Stir in one-third of the kale; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add 1/3 cup broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to large serving bowl. (Continued on p. 66)
Repeat twice, until all ingredients (except vinaigrette) are used. Add Cranberry Vinaigrette to cooked kale and toss until well coated. Serve hot.
- Calories 191
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 621 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g