Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Deep, delicious flavor comes easily to this “meaty” soup, thanks to a broth made with dried porcini mushrooms.
1. Bring 7 1/2 cups water to a boil in Dutch oven. Add porcini mushrooms, remove pan from heat, and let soak 30 minutes. Line mesh strainer with double layer of cheesecloth, and place over large bowl. Strain porcini, reserving liquid. Squeeze porcini in cheesecloth to wring out as much liquid as possible. Discard cheesecloth, and finely chop porcini. Rinse Dutch oven, and return porcini liquid and chopped porcini to it.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, and season with salt, if desired. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until potatoes begin to brown. Transfer potatoes to pot with porcini liquid.
3. Add remaining 2 Tbs. oil to same skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add cremini mushrooms, and cook 15 to 17 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add garlic and 1 Tbs. rosemary, and cook 20 seconds. Add wine, and simmer 15 seconds. Transfer mushrooms and liquid to potato mixture, and bring chowder to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Purée 2 cups soup in blender until smooth. Stir back into chowder. Serve sprinkled with remaining 1 tsp. rosemary.
- Calories 216
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 17 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g