Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Champ is a traditional Irish dish usually consisting of mashed potatoes and spring onions. Here, milk-braised leeks replace the spring onions.
1. Bring potatoes and enough salted water to cover to a boil in pot over medium heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
2. Heat butter and leeks in skillet over medium heat 10 minutes, or until leeks begin to brown. Add 2 Tbs. water, and simmer 15 seconds. Add milk, nutmeg, and white pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes. Transfer to large bowl, and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth. Stir in leek mixture.
- Calories 165
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 129 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g