Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Crispy phyllo, sweetened mascarpone cheese, and fresh orange slices are assembled into a stunning dessert stack.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper, then coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
2. Bring butter, honey, 2 Tbs. orange juice, and orange zest to a simmer in small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface, and brush with butter mixture. Stack 3 remaining phyllo sheets over first, brushing butter between each layer. Reserve remaining butter mixture.
4. Cut 24 circles from phyllo stack with 21/2-inch round cutter. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, and top with parchment paper and a second large baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, rotating tray once. Remove top baking sheet and parchment, and brush each circle with butter mixture (there will be some left over). Return to oven, and bake 5 minutes more, or until golden brown.
5. Stir together mascarpone and remaining 4 Tbs. orange juice. Transfer to piping bag with round tip, if desired.
6. Trim orange ends all the way to juicy flesh. Stand fruit upright, and remove peel and pith with paring knife, following curve of fruit from top to bottom. Cut oranges into thin slices.
7. To assemble: Lay 8 phyllo crisps on work surface, and spread or pipe each with 2 tsp. mascarpone mixture. Lay 1 orange slice atop each phyllo crisp. Top each stack with second phyllo crisp, 2 more tsp. mascarpone, and 1 orange slice. Top with third phyllo crisp, and finish with 1 orange slice. Transfer to plate with thin spatula. Drizzle each with any remaining glaze.
- Calories 203
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 33 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 46 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g