Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The only thing roasted beets need is a light vinaigrette to be absolutely perfect. When making this recipe, roast a few extra beets to use in salads and sandwiches or in other beet dishes. Try the recipe with Chioggia or golden beets as well.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap each unpeeled beet individually in foil.Place on baking sheet, and roast 40 minutes, or until beets are tender enough to be pierced with knife. Cool until easy to handle.
2. Grate 1/2 tsp. zest from 1 orange; set zest aside. Trim ends away from both oranges, stand fruit upright, and remove peel and pith with knife.Hold fruit over bowl (to catch juice), and cut segments from membranes. Cut each segment in half, and place in separate bowl.
3. Whisk together 2 Tbs. orange juice (in bowl), vinegar, orange zest, lemon juice, and salt. Gradually whisk in oil.
4. Peel beets by rubbing off skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1-inch pieces, and add to bowl with orange segments. Top with vinaigrette, and toss well. Chill several hours, or up to 2 days.
- Calories 108
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 264 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g