Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The sweet-tart flavor of pineapple enhances the natural sweetness of root vegetables.
1. Place beet chunks and 1/3 cup water in small, microwave-safe bowl. Cover, and cook on high power 7 minutes, or until tender. Set aside; reserve cooking water.
2. Bring 1 cup pineapple juice, 1 cup water, lemon peel, and sprinkle of salt to a boil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, parsnips, yam, beet, and beet cooking water. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 12 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
3. Hold sieve over skillet. Spoon vegetables into sieve so liquids drain back into skillet. Set sieve aside on foil. Add remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice and lemon juice to skillet. Boil over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes, or until juices thicken almost to a glaze, stirring often (do not let juices brown). Reduce heat to low. Add butter, and whisk until sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Return vegetables to skillet, add pineapple chunks, and cook 1 minute, or until mixture is hot and coated with sauce. Sprinkle with mint.
- Calories 125
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 58 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g