Savory Noodle Kugel with Fresh Herbs and Scallions
I first discovered this easy, comforting noodle pudding in a cookbook by the grande dame of Canadian cooking, the late Madame Jehane Benoit. Sadly, I no longer have the cookbook, but since the recipe is so simple I had committed the idea to memory. Over the years I’ve experimented with…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
I first discovered this easy, comforting noodle pudding in a cookbook by the grande dame of Canadian cooking, the late Madame Jehane Benoit. Sadly, I no longer have the cookbook, but since the recipe is so simple I had committed the idea to memory. Over the years I’ve experimented with low-fat dairy products and trimmed away excess fat grams.
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into large pieces
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. dry, wide or medium egg noodles (6 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt
- 5 scallions (white and light green parts), chopped
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
1. Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 8-inch square or other 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with lemon peel and set aside.
2. In food processor, process bread until coarse crumbs form. Add oil and pulse until blended. Set aside.
3. Add noodles to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water until completely cool, then drain again. Set aside.
4. In large bowl, whisk eggs. Add cottage cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste; whisk until blended. Add scallions, parsley, dill and reserved noodles; mix with rubber spatula. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumb mixture. (Kugel can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
5. Bake kugel, uncovered, until lightly browned and set, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Calories 183
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 96 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 355 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g