Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These pretty breadsticks may look complicated, but they’re not—twisting them is as easy as wringing a dishcloth, though it takes a lighter touch.
1. Preheat oven to 425F, and coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.
2. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl. Rub butter into flour mixture with fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Place dough on well-floured work surface. Roll into 15×15-inch square. Brush with water, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt, if desired. Cut square in half, then cut each half into 15 3/4-inch thick strips.
4. Twist each strip twice, set on baking sheet and gently press ends flat to prevent twists from unrolling. Bake 15 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.
- Calories 85
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 176 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g