Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This vibrant soup makes great use of leftover fennel stalks.
1. Heat saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add fennel and onion, and sauté 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup wine, and simmer 2 minutes. Add split peas, 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds, thyme, bay leaf, and 7 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add remaining 1/2 cup wine, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until split peas are tender. Stir in spinach, and cook 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
3. Remove bay leaf, and purée soup with immersion blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Toast remaining 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds in small skillet 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Serve soup garnished with toasted fennel seeds.
- Calories 227
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 21 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 45 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g